That is why it is necessary to make an effort to prevent the potential negative effects of an event of this magnitude. That is why "Atención Atención", fulfilling its responsibility with children in Puerto Rico has created "La Hora de Juego - Time to Play", since playing is the activity that allows to recover and develop the imagination, process difficult events, socially share and strengthen resilience.
Playing is the best tool to reach children and help them face difficult circumstances in life. This initiative, managed by the "Fundación Atención Atención", is the mean to open a space for psycho-emotional recovery in children after the hurricane. In partnership with community leaders or non-governmental organizations, we are reaching different corners of the island.
Through a structured curriculum where the main protagonists are games and music, for one hour and for a period of one month, trained professionals play with children of a community, establishing bonds of trust, recovering the structure and providing a space for healing.
Since October of 2017 we have played with more than 1500 children throughout Puerto Rico and we hope to continue with your help, rebuilding Puerto Rico one child at a time.
We have already been to:
- San Juan: Refugio Pedrin Zorrilla
- Ponce: Residencial Dr. Pila y Residencial Perla del Sur
- Corozal: Plaza de pueblo de Corozal with all the children that could arrive and in the municipal shelter in the immediate weeks after the hurricane.
- Adjuntas: In partnership with the Casa Pueblo organization, with all children that could arrive. Because of the support of Casa Pueblo and the promotion they provided, the impact was so great that children arrived from the municipality of Jayuya, exceeding the 100 participants at the closing event.
- Juana Díaz: Barrio Santa Rita 3
- Utuado: Esc. Bernardo González del Barrio Salto Abajo
- Naguabo: Escuela Lutgarda Rivera, Bo. Río Blanco
- Salinas: In partnership with Idebajo [Eco-development Initiative of the Jobo’s Bay], children from the communities of Coqui, San Felipe, Las Mareas and Aguirre were impacted.
- Loíza: In partnership with C.O.P.I. [Corporación Piñones se integra] impacting the Miñi Miñi community and it’s surroundings.
- Humacao: In partnership with P.E.C.E.S. It was carried out in the Agapito López Flores school.
- Juncos: In partnership with P.E.C.E.S. it was carried out in Pedro Bosch Salgas school, Barrio Ceiba Norte
- Vieques: In partnership with Boys & Girls Club for the children of the island.
- Jayuya: Residenciales La Montaña, Mattei I y II y Hayuya
- Canóvanas: Esc. Pedro Gutierrez, Bo. Cubuy
- Guaynabo: Escuela Juan Ponce de León, Comunidad Juan Domingo.
- Yauco: Comunidades Barinas y Costa Sur
- Vega Alta: Comunidad Bajuras en alianza con Head Start
- Yabucoa: En alianza con CREARTE
- We’re currently working at Comerío